busan stories (free at last... free at last)
I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal." I have a dream that one day on the rice hills of busan the sons of former farmers and the sons of former bae-kins will be able to sit down together at a table of brotherhood and share some shik-hye. I have a dream that one day even the state of california, a sunshine state, sweltering with the heat of homo-do and mahn-jahing, will be transformed into an oasis of hetero and siestas. I have a dream that my four children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the accent of their sha-too-lee but by the content of their character. I have a dream today.
I have a dream that one day the state of emerybay, whose landlord's lips are presently dripping with the words of greed and money, will be transformed into a situation where little yager boys and yager girls will be able to join hands without having to pay rent and frolick together as sisters and brothers. I have a dream today. I have a dream that one day every holiday shall be observed, every lunch and afternoon shall be made into a siesta, the work hour shall be made into 5, and the salary doubled, and the vacations days tripled, and all flesh shall see it together. This is my hope. This is the faith with which I return to apt 6209. With this faith we will be able to hew out of the mountain of despair a stone of hope. With this faith we will be able to transform the jangling discords of our corporate nation into a beautiful symphony of play-play-playing. With this many days off we will be able to snowboard together, to picnic together, to wrestle together, to veg in front of a tv together, to live together, knowing that we will be free one day until the work day.
This should be the day when all of God's children will be able to sing with a new meaning, "My country, 'tis of thee, sweet land of liberty, of thee I sing instead of waking up at 7am and hauling my butt to work with my gas light blinking "empty" all the way to work. Land where my father immigrated to, land of cal pride, from every cubicle, let playing reign." And if America is to be a great party-nation, this must become true. So let the music ring from the prodigious tops of the hyatt. Let playing reign from the mighty prisons of alcatraz. Let playing reign from the dark recesses of kcpc! Let playing reign from the dungeons of moffit! But not only that; let playing reign from the couch of 6209! Let playing reign from the jacuzzi outside the fitness center! Let playing reign from every hill and every lift of tahoe. From every cubicle in every office in every building, let playing reign.
When we let playing reign, when we let it ring from every village and every hamlet, from every state and every city, we will be able to speed up that day when all of God's children, busan men and bae-kin men, shikeys and me-chin noms, jah-sheiks and byung-shins, will be able to join hands and sing in the words of the old busan spiritual, "play at last! play at last! thank God Almighty, we can play at last!"
In case you were wondering... I don't have the day off.
Happy Martin Luther King Jr. day. His real speech is powerful.
I have a dream that one day the state of emerybay, whose landlord's lips are presently dripping with the words of greed and money, will be transformed into a situation where little yager boys and yager girls will be able to join hands without having to pay rent and frolick together as sisters and brothers. I have a dream today. I have a dream that one day every holiday shall be observed, every lunch and afternoon shall be made into a siesta, the work hour shall be made into 5, and the salary doubled, and the vacations days tripled, and all flesh shall see it together. This is my hope. This is the faith with which I return to apt 6209. With this faith we will be able to hew out of the mountain of despair a stone of hope. With this faith we will be able to transform the jangling discords of our corporate nation into a beautiful symphony of play-play-playing. With this many days off we will be able to snowboard together, to picnic together, to wrestle together, to veg in front of a tv together, to live together, knowing that we will be free one day until the work day.
This should be the day when all of God's children will be able to sing with a new meaning, "My country, 'tis of thee, sweet land of liberty, of thee I sing instead of waking up at 7am and hauling my butt to work with my gas light blinking "empty" all the way to work. Land where my father immigrated to, land of cal pride, from every cubicle, let playing reign." And if America is to be a great party-nation, this must become true. So let the music ring from the prodigious tops of the hyatt. Let playing reign from the mighty prisons of alcatraz. Let playing reign from the dark recesses of kcpc! Let playing reign from the dungeons of moffit! But not only that; let playing reign from the couch of 6209! Let playing reign from the jacuzzi outside the fitness center! Let playing reign from every hill and every lift of tahoe. From every cubicle in every office in every building, let playing reign.
When we let playing reign, when we let it ring from every village and every hamlet, from every state and every city, we will be able to speed up that day when all of God's children, busan men and bae-kin men, shikeys and me-chin noms, jah-sheiks and byung-shins, will be able to join hands and sing in the words of the old busan spiritual, "play at last! play at last! thank God Almighty, we can play at last!"
In case you were wondering... I don't have the day off.
Happy Martin Luther King Jr. day. His real speech is powerful.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home