AMChong
I'm not sure how it started and who initiated it, but God's good grace the family of Chong has built a tradition of watching movies as a family. This weekend was another outing at AMChong theatres. We watched Typhoon. 
A korean movie about a North Korean defector who gets denied access to South Korea as a child and ends up seeking revenge in his adulthood. Pretty typical korean and a hefty dose of over the top melodrama. The action wasn't that bad except for the exclammations my grandma and my mom would shout at the screen (Do-mahng-gah-suh! Excuse me! Uh-huh!). I swear they thought they were black people at a scary movie! I wanted to throw popcorn at them.
And yet, in the midst of such soothing Arirang ballads mixed with technopyrotechnic explosives and clashes of korean male egos, there were those sob stories... on more than a few occasions did I catch my father, mother, grandmother and oldest sister sob like two Busanese without two rice grains to rub together. I could only smirk at my other sister in sheer mockery and disbelief. This is something that we picked up growing up while our parents watched dramas.
Every time I see a korean movie or drama, it makes me think that the korean blood is infused with drama... at least the country blood does. It was meant to bleed in sacrifice, to boil in anger, to rebel in oppression and to prevail in hardship. Looking at all the movies and drama, they speak of pure love embodied in sacrifice, extrenuous anger in injustice, and joy in overcoming hardship. You just need to skip over all the skank-hoe music videos and commercials to see it. Whatever happened to the day of Mo-Lae-She-Gae?
Other movies we've watched:
Jurassic Park, which my parents somehow slept through.
Gladiator, which my dad kept calling Gla-der-tor-ris-a-min-a-tor I kid you not.
damn... I forgot the other ones.

A korean movie about a North Korean defector who gets denied access to South Korea as a child and ends up seeking revenge in his adulthood. Pretty typical korean and a hefty dose of over the top melodrama. The action wasn't that bad except for the exclammations my grandma and my mom would shout at the screen (Do-mahng-gah-suh! Excuse me! Uh-huh!). I swear they thought they were black people at a scary movie! I wanted to throw popcorn at them.
And yet, in the midst of such soothing Arirang ballads mixed with technopyrotechnic explosives and clashes of korean male egos, there were those sob stories... on more than a few occasions did I catch my father, mother, grandmother and oldest sister sob like two Busanese without two rice grains to rub together. I could only smirk at my other sister in sheer mockery and disbelief. This is something that we picked up growing up while our parents watched dramas.
Every time I see a korean movie or drama, it makes me think that the korean blood is infused with drama... at least the country blood does. It was meant to bleed in sacrifice, to boil in anger, to rebel in oppression and to prevail in hardship. Looking at all the movies and drama, they speak of pure love embodied in sacrifice, extrenuous anger in injustice, and joy in overcoming hardship. You just need to skip over all the skank-hoe music videos and commercials to see it. Whatever happened to the day of Mo-Lae-She-Gae?
Other movies we've watched:
Jurassic Park, which my parents somehow slept through.
Gladiator, which my dad kept calling Gla-der-tor-ris-a-min-a-tor I kid you not.
damn... I forgot the other ones.

1 Comments:
HAHHAAHAA!!! you never forget that beaner remark. i shed a tear for parental hilarity.
Post a Comment
<< Home