Tuesday, June 14, 2005

les miserables

Sunday night, a few of us watched Les Miserables, the musical.
We had to split into two groups of four so we could sit in the first row of the mezzanine. Fellow musical appreciants included my sister, Ghetto, Hans, Man-Child, Eun-Shake, Double-D and Albie. This is by far my favorite musical. I watched it the first time in New York with Gennerz, Butch and Esteban (damn, these nicknames should weird on paper). If you've never watched it, go watch it! But read the synopsis before the performance starts or you'll be like Albie flipping through the Playbill in the dark during the performance.

I like the play so much that I decided to read the book, unabridged. I've read it twice already and I'm thinking I'll probably read it a dozen more times before I die. My favorite quote from the book is
Love is the folly of man, but the wisdom of God.
This becomes more apparent as time passes by and I get older. This emotion and commitment called Love is not as easy and simple as it used to be. That feeling that I would get of butterflies in my stomach whenever a certain girl passed by or looked my way has been replaced by thoughts of

"what does she want with her life?"
"how much does she contribute to her 401(k)?"
"what are her goals?"
"can i trust her driving?"
"what does she expect from me?"
"will she fart in front of me?"
"what is she passionate about?"
"can she take me being my annoying self?"
"do i value her opinion?"
"how many pairs of shoes does she have?"
"will she smile in the time of hardship?"
"can i get my arms around her or even pick her up?"
"will she be a good mother?"
"do i have a bigger mits than her?"
"how will she treat my parents?"
"can she lean on my shoulder when we dance?"
"will she get along with my sisters?"
"what is her net worth?"

Back in the day, when I liked a girl... it was pretty easy to deal with. I would look at her from afar and think of all the things I would say to her and stay quiet, reserved. I would try to impress her by doing anything better. Usually with excellent success, she didn't notice me. That's how the system worked. I admired from afar, said nothing and nothing happened. I was the invisible man. It was a great system.

I remember in elementary, one of my first crush was this chinese girl. I'm not sure if you can consider it a crush, maybe more like the "last man on earth" situation. She was the only other Asian person in a classroom of Jorges, Julios, Marias, Normas and Joses (I'm not kidding. Take a look at my yearbook!). Anyways, I remember it was Valentines and you were assigned to write a card to everyone. She gave me a card and it had some snickering "bag" on it. I decided to write back with my own (You so ugly, your mama had to get drunk to breastfeed you or something like that). Well, when she got the card, her girlfriends started cracking up and I started cracking up and the guys near me started cracking up. Ms. Lux settled us down and sent me and my crush to the standards table to write "I will not disturb the classroom" 100 times. We had never gotten standards before and the air was tense. We looked at each other and looked at the lines on the paper. The air was thick with tension and anticipation... it was a standards race. Who would finish first? We both sat down with authority and started convulsing each letter, word, sentence without restraint. I only glanced over once or twice to check her progress. Then, I saw her cross the last t and dot the last i as she was getting up. My hands had failed me. I had lost and my heart was sinking. It was then that I knew that this battle was done. In this war to find peace between one man and woman will have many casualties. That was my first taste of blood and it was not the last. No one makes me bleed my own blood.

who owns this?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home