Thursday, July 21, 2005

PMI Paradise

My company is awesome!

We had a company picnic yesterday. I didn't know companies still did this. I've only seen it on TV shows like the Simpsons and Malcolm in the Middle. We left the office at 11 and arrived to be greeted by the officers of the company. They were wearing Hawaiian shirts and hats. Hilarious! I wish I had a picture. The food wasn't bad, but my only regret is that I've vowed never to drink alcohol at a company function. No beer equates to no leper-looking skin. The first time I went to a company drink night, I got a few looks and more laughs.

There was a lot of food and even ice cream, a softball tournament (we got rocked and never sweated so much, just standing out there in the outfield), dunk tank for the VPs, and a bunch of other silly games.

The most awkward thing is what do you talk about when you are with your co-workers and you take work out of the equation. You get a lot of silence ("... "), random observations ("hey, this watermelon is green and red on the inside", "wow, it's really hot"), agreements to any comments ("you're right, very green and very red", "yeah, feels like it's over 95, even 100"), and blatant confessionals ("i'm just a dirty old man"). You have to understand, I'm surrounded by people two extremes. On one hand, the co-workers whose words are only corporate phrases they've heard and embraced as their office mantra and the other who simply have no noon-chi.

Co-worker: "Hey John. How you doing?"
Chongo: "I'm a bit busy. My boss has a reserve meeting tomorrow and I need to prepare some data."
Co-worker: "That's good, keeps you out of trouble... hehehe."

I've heard this over ten times. It wasn't that pleasant the first time. What possible trouble could I, as an actuary get into with a calculator and pen? But what gets me is that this guy laughs as enthusiastically as the first time, to himself! I've stopped laughing at this point.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home