30 Years My Ass
"I want them to think it will be impossible to win against Japan for the next 30 years."
These are the words utterly by dead-wrong and embarrassed Suzuki Ichiro in reference to playing Korea in the World Baseball Classic. Yesterday was the second meeting of the Asian rivals. Korea had already beat Japan in Tokyo. This was a very anticipated game for all Koreans and Japanese. Ahan even called his parents about it, Tommy's parents were at the game and my mom even yelled at my dad to turn on the tv when I told them it was on.


You have to understand, Korea hates Japan. It's not a racial distaste for their culture, but more of a inner hatred of their society. It's most hard-corely found in the older generation who have witnessed some of the atrocities. I don't know all the history, but a brief summary is found here. All I know is that as a child, I was perplexed by my grandmother fluency in Japanese. Her mastery of the language was only surpassed by the hatred for that country. You ask any Korean ah-jush or ah-joom whether they hate the Japanese, they'll say no. But mention bringing one home to dinner or going out with one and you'll get a slap in the face and a "nap-pon sheikey" from the mouth.
After your country's been raped and pillaged by a society that has yet to officially apologize and admit their faults, beating them in a sport they profusely claimed to be superior in, in front of the whole world ain't half bad.
These are the words utterly by dead-wrong and embarrassed Suzuki Ichiro in reference to playing Korea in the World Baseball Classic. Yesterday was the second meeting of the Asian rivals. Korea had already beat Japan in Tokyo. This was a very anticipated game for all Koreans and Japanese. Ahan even called his parents about it, Tommy's parents were at the game and my mom even yelled at my dad to turn on the tv when I told them it was on.


You have to understand, Korea hates Japan. It's not a racial distaste for their culture, but more of a inner hatred of their society. It's most hard-corely found in the older generation who have witnessed some of the atrocities. I don't know all the history, but a brief summary is found here. All I know is that as a child, I was perplexed by my grandmother fluency in Japanese. Her mastery of the language was only surpassed by the hatred for that country. You ask any Korean ah-jush or ah-joom whether they hate the Japanese, they'll say no. But mention bringing one home to dinner or going out with one and you'll get a slap in the face and a "nap-pon sheikey" from the mouth.
After your country's been raped and pillaged by a society that has yet to officially apologize and admit their faults, beating them in a sport they profusely claimed to be superior in, in front of the whole world ain't half bad.

2 Comments:
30 years? that's terrible! why 30 years? any historical refernce in that? haha, i'm such a geek. =)
anywho, hi!!
HEY! My brother-in-law is Japanese ... but he's pretty much white cuz he don't speak a lick of Japanese.
Post a Comment
<< Home