Tuesday, February 28, 2006

busan stories (craving)

It was brought to my attention that lent starts in a few days.
Not quite sure how this tradition catholic period of reflection translates into a reformed act of worship. But I do agree that a periodic time to re-evaluate my life goals and its path could be very beneficial. But right now I don't have the mental energy or courage at deep self assessment to do that. I've been feeling a little off lately... I think I'm getting sick.

Ate a salad for lunch. That was my weal attempt at eating more vegetarian. Am I turning vegetarian? Heck no!!! I couldn't live without eggs. I know, it's weird. My comfort food is rice with ice cold water, kimchi and two fried eggs. But no matter how I season, beg, cry, I can't make them quite my my MULUBable mother.

Ahan and I are grabbing dinner together... he wants KFC. I watched a PETA video on KFC a few months ago and I vowed never to eat it again, but them damn drumsticks are calling me. It's the hot sauce if you ask me. My saliva glands are pumping just thinking about them. I used to eat about 20 of them hot wings drenched in hot sauce during my rotund epoch... and a tub of dreyer's cookies and cream to put out the fire. No wonder I had fat folds growing up.

But we'll have to evenly distribute the food. Actually, maybe not. Even though Man-Child eats without chewing or breathing... he's pretty considerate about his portions... which is odd considering he lived four years in Dana House. That's like a den full of hungry dogs. Never share a ttong-dak with Georgia. Before you can say "amen", he'll have a content smile, drowsiness from food coma and grease all over his face and all you'd be left with is the undisturbed pile of stale cabbage and half the bill.

The worst case of roommate not-very-etiquette is the Big Show. We don't call him the Big Show for nothing. It happened during a full moon night on an eerie Saturday morning. I should have known something was off. I didn't find the Dong in front of the tv or laying peacefully across the hallway taking a nap. The Big Show had ravaged the four bags of potato chips the night before. We gave him his own bag, but never does one bag satiate the BIG Show. All I remember is the upside down logo of Doritos and Ruffles and he lifted the bag over his head with the contents free falling to their doom into the dark abyss of his mouth.

I bought two bags of Oreos cookies. I had a craving from watching Rounders. Since childhood, I've had a weakness for Oreo cookies. A full glass of cold milk and rows of Oreo cookies, and you had yourself one content stout Busanese boy with tacky fashion sense. I bought two (we usually did this), so I could hid one bag and leave the other bag out in the kitchen counter in hopes that the obvious bag will satiate the Big Show and throw off any indicator that there was a second bag. I was eating dinner... anticipating the taste of those sweet crunchy black cookies. I had saved them for dessert and I didn't want to ruin my appetite. Then, it started. I had the door open... no shadow, no foot tracks, no hello.

"Hello? Is anyone there?"

I heard a few cupboards open and slam closed. My heart beat in quick succession. Then it happened. I saw a big grin... It was the Big Show.

"No... no... no... sneaky... sneaky..."

He had found them... my Oreos, my dessert, my few morsels of delight to shine on my dull day. All I could do was look away and tilt my head in discontent.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home