Thursday, July 12, 2007

Mile Hi Club

I remember the first time I ever flew the friendly skies...

I was a runt of the lad; bowl-cut, fashionable brown patches on the elbows of my mini-suit and a killer smile. My eyes were vastly wide open, relatively. My blood was pumping with adrenaline, mixed with fears and dreams. I was embarking on an adventure that only a few men have dared. I, at the age of 4 had dug all my fear and uncertanty in the rice fields of Busan. I was going to America.

The airline was korean air and the flight was much too long. There are two things that I remember from that formidable flight. The sky blue aircraft that the pretty flight attendant gave me and the tickle in my little pickle that the take off and landing gave me.

I've been flying up and down to SF for the past year. I only hoped that I wouldn't regress to lonely nights working in the hotel (which I've done) or bowling by myself (which I never plan to do). I've become pretty accustomed to the routine of waiting, checking, standing, sitting and waiting some more. You stay in your personal space; read a book to pass the time, send a few texts to the lawyer buddy who complains about the insane $0.10 cost of text messages, and even catch a nap here and there. Everybody on the plane pretty much keeps to themselves. The occassional rogue who talks to loud gets his/her punishment in scolding looks and lots of head shaking.

This past trip, I met an older gentleman by the name of Don. White, past-middle aged and very nice. He, of course was armed with a book, some detective novel. He looked very familiar and as he was situating himself next to me and making those passing comments "sure looks full tonight, sw is always late" that edge on community but keeps a safe distance, I realized that I've met this guy before. We talked for a bit about 2-3 months prior. That was kinda nice and a bit depressing. We were stuck doing the same thing, two strangers connecting due to the regularity and demands of work. At first, I was taken back by this coincidence. I smiled as I remembered what he was up to from our last conversation. Of course, I talked about Les Mis, he talked about starting a new company and not wanting to travel so much. But a wave of caution and shock perturbed our casual conversation when he asked if I was married or had kids... then he gave me his business card in case I was ever bored in SF.

When did missed connections turn into to catch a predator. At that moment, I damned my boyish-asian countenance and amiable face. I guess it's better than a stranger asking if he could split my banana. Luckily, he told me about his daughter and the gaydar alert system was lowered from the top to the middle of the rainbow.

This made me somewhat disappointed in myself and society. I've had a few other connections with people on the airplane and they've always been good. Why was I so paranoid?
  1. On my flight back home from Cal day, a girl sat next to me and we started talking. She was really social and was also going to Cal. She noticed my cap and assumed that I was also a freshman.
  2. During junior or senior year, I was flying back home and a black lady was reading a book with a televangelist on the back cover. We discussed the impact of pre-destination and our faith.
  3. On my flight to Seattle to visit Seattle Seduction and Dong, a lady next to me and I started talking. She grew up in a Lutheran church but was heavily involved in a Baptist church. Her husband and she planned some type of conferences and was starting a prayer group. She seemed very nice and she even prayed for me.

4 Comments:

Blogger llave said...

have u ever tried the "no engrish?" approach on the plane? if it doesn't work, it's always amusing to see the responses. see you at the butcher shop on sat.

4:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

there's nothing wrong with bowling by yourself

8:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i completely agree

8:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sure, I've watched a movie by myself, but it's dark and no one talks to each other and you generally don't notice the people around you.

Having to walk up to a lane while the people on the lane next to you wait for you to finish and doing that at least 10 times in a single game is a bit more tragic.

Thanks for the comments albie!

9:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home