Friday, July 07, 2006

Poolside Fun

Growing up in the valley (not oh-my-gosh valley, but pass the lime puto), the summers were intense. My house looked like a typical one-story house. A front yard driveway complete with a basketball rim and a huge berry tree anchored to the middle of the lawn whose branches I'd have to cut and chop. For some unknown unexplainable reason, we didn't have central air conditioner, only a cooling fan. What a cooling fan did was cool air with water and blow that "cooled" air into the vent. It worked exceptionally well in the winter, but retardedly not-at-all during the summer. All it did was wake me up with it's noise while I sporadically fell asleep in my own sweat.

That left me with three alternatives.
1) My parents' room had an air conditioner, but sibling seniority took rank. I would have to sit there and watch whatever my sisters were watching, usually soaps. I'll admit that I have succumbed to this option on more than a few occasions.
2) Sit in front of a fan. I actually became a pro at this. I'd position ice cubes on the top of the fan and as the heat melted the ice into water droplets, those droplets would eventually fall into the blades of the rotating fan and spray me with sweet icy mist. Oh thank God!
3) Go swimming! We had the best pool in a 10 mile radius, equipped with diving board and 10 feet depths... oh the stories to tell!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Soaps? That explains it all...

6:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home